19 November 2010

The Olden Days



Hello! I'm Starr from A Thought is the Blossom here to take over the Sally Jane blog for a day. When Jennifer told me that she was going to visit family in Alabama, I immediately thought of my vacation to Mobile last Fall. My sister and I drove there to visit our family too, though we spent a lot of our time digging through antique malls in the downtown historic district. The place was a gold mine when it came to vintage treasures!

The digging and the buying were both fun, but I think more than anything I enjoyed the time I spent with my grandma. I asked her so many questions about her childhood and her parents childhoods – she must have been so annoyed with me by the end. She told me tales about the gypsies that tried to kidnap my great grandma on her walks home from school –they succeeded in shanghaiing one of her brothers for a number of years before eventually returning him home– and she told me all about my great grandfather and how he used to get in trouble for dipping girls hair in ink and sticking tacks in their chairs when he was in school. She also told me a fascinating story about my great, great grandfather.


80s Coat & Boots: Saver's / Vintage Sweater & Jantzen Blouse: Goodwill / Tights: Zara / 70s Dress: Midtown Antique Mall / Vintage Skeleton Key Charm: Blue Moon Antique Mall, DIY


According to her grandmother (my great, great grandmother), when Vicksburg was being besieged by General Grant, things were going badly for the citizens. They were running out of food and other supplies and had no choice but to eat horses and print the newspaper on the back of wallpaper –the paper was a strong line of support that helped keep the morale of the people. At the age of 13, most likely by the influence of his family, my great, great grandfather rode out of Vicksburg and into Lower Peach Tree, AL on a mule one night, sneaking through the enemy lines that surrounded the city.

It's hard to believe that a story like that is true, but according to my great, great grandmother, it happened just like that. How tragic would it have been if that story would have stopped at my grandmother?


Photos by Corey!

14 comments:

D.S.R said...

love the photos!! they're awesome!!!

Jess ♡ said...

These photos are absolutely stunning! Lighting is phenomenal and your outfit is too adorable for words <3

Anonymous said...

Love the navy and camel together. And your collar poking out from underneath your jumper is just the cutest x

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Amazing post, amazing story! I loved asking my grandparents about their pasts, and earlier this year recorded a series of interviews with my grandfather to try and preserve these remembrances. I just love family histories so much. And the photos are wonderful too, of course..

Anonymous said...

Love this storey and your outfit! Great guest post Star. x

AuroraSuzette said...

Nice story, and great photos..love the chair outside.

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

This is so very pretty Starr!! love the lighting.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots :)
Thanks for sharing these stories!
I remember going to see my Grandma specifically to go through old photos and ask her life story. So I know some anecodtes about my great-great-great grandmoter. The history of the other side of m family remains an enigma.

Rosaspina Vintage said...

I love camel paired with navy! Great coat ;)

TresLunas said...

love your blog =) follow you, would you follow me?

Špela said...

love the look, cool pics

nice blog

come by
http://spela-digitaltraveler.blogspot.com/

callie said...

I love this post. Such an awesome story. I love hearing my grandparents stories! You look adorable like usual too. (:

Jade said...

Your camel coat s gorgeous x

Claire Nouveau said...

that's crazy! i adore hearing old stories like these, you're so lucky to have a grandparent still with you to tell these stories to and so you can pass them along as well :) oh and of course you look ADORABLE...hehe! ;)