21 December 2009

Furry Coats

Untitled-1
random streetstyle shots that may or may not have appeared on this blog before: stylesightings, facehunter (I think), the sartorialist, cafe mode

All of this snowy super cold weather has reignited my thirst for a old-ladyish coat with furry accoutrements. A few years back I was determined to find such a coat that actually fit me but constantly came up empty handed. I think I must have given up and moved on to something else because I never did get my hands on that perfect old lady coat. Now I'm reminded a bit of the Camille Bidault-Waddington interview I read on Siri's blog when she talked about dressing like a spinster when she was younger was charming but now that she's older she just looks like... a spinster. I think I still have a few years left of being able to wear the little old lady coat and not come across as just that. I hope.

I'm still kicking myself for not snagging the one on the below left when I had the chance. Actually, I think it sold for a ridiculous few hundred dollars which is why it's not hanging in my closet now. The one on the right would do as well. Even the fur is faux which is a plus in my book.

Untitled-2

17 comments:

Imani said...

i love all the coats and i love your blog!
http://thevelvetjacket.blogspot.com/

Amy P. said...

I've grown more accustomed to the look of fur collar coats but I still don't like the idea of wearing fur, even if it is faux fur.

Mmm I think you would look lovely lovely in a an old lady coat, especially a sage one. And you won't be an old lady for a longgg time!

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

Before now I felt kind of guilty buying a fur-adorned collar so I kept passing them up at estate sales/thrift stores but this year I kept finding ones I couldn't pass up so now I own 3! (one brown, one red and one luxurious white one all edged in fur on the collar). They always seem to be in abundance at Chicago-area thrift stores.

thimbles and gingham said...

gee i love camille. i especially love the checked coat.

Unknown said...

oooh that plaid coat is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

oh, these are adorable. i love the one in red.

Anonymous said...

The contrast of the fitted shape with the big pouf of fur/faux fur is really nice. And I really like the shorter length ones too. I bet you could rock some granny coats with much sass for many many years to come.

xo Jenny

Mandi Johnson said...

I keeeep finding really amazing fur coats. And with the low thrift store price tags, I buy them way too often. My problem is justifying wearing real fur. I'm a vegetarian. Ha

Lexie said...

i used to hate fur accents, and i ripped off the lining of one of my jackets and promptly disposed of it because it looked like fox tail hiding out at the bottom of my closet ... now i really wish i hadnt have done that!

Studded Rose said...

ahhhh this makes me want a new coat so bad! Pretty silly to add to the list right now though being its summer here lol Ash xo

http://studdedrosevintage.blogspot.com/

Helen said...

that red coat is so beautiful, i want it!

Amy // The Girl In The Bowler Hat said...

I love coats with the fur collars at the minute also! I also infact almost bought one for my winter coat this year :)

xxxx

Vintage Avocado said...

Beautiful!!
I have an amazing furry coat for sale, I found it in a closed-up warehouse that used to sell in my hometown twenty years ago. I sent it to the laundry and now it looks great. Its checked green wool with faux fur apliques in the arms and shoulders, so Mick Jagger...There is a picture of a friend of mine wearing it in my last blog post, but it's not very good...I hope to be able to send you a picture as soon as I post it to my shop!
Love
Nadia
www.vintageavocado.etsy.com
www.vintageavocado.bigcartel.com

Lacey Starr said...

I love old lady coats too! I was lucky enough to thrift one recently in my size and it's usually impossible to find coats second hand that fit me. I also got a detachable fur collar to jazz up my other more modern coats.

Annie, Time Enough for Drums said...

Beautiful photos! My grandmother has her coat from the 1960s and it's got my name on it. Coats from back then are so well made; I feel like they don't make them that way anymore. Annie.

kelsea said...

the lady on the bottom left looks great in those street style pics!!

have a great christmas

Gossip_Glamour said...

Lovely Trend !

xxx__