19 February 2009

Important Artifacts & Personal Property from the Collection of Lenore Doolan & Harold Morris


This is one of the most original book ideas I've seen in a long time. I'm definitely adding it to my Amazon wishlist. Here's the description from the author's website (they'll explain it much better than I could)...

Auction catalogs can tell you a lot about a person -- their passions and vanities, peccadilloes and aesthetics; their flush years and lean.In Leanne Shapton's marvelously inventive and invented auction catalog, the 325 lots up for auction are what remain from the relationship between Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris. Through photographs of the couple's personal effects -- the usual auction items (jewelry, fine art, and rare furniture) and the seemingly worthless (pajamas, Post-it notes, worn paperbacks) -- the story of a failed love affair vividly (and cleverly) emerges. From first meeting to final separation, the progress and rituals of intimacy are revealed through the couple's accumulated relics and memorabilia. And a love story, in all its tenderness and struggle, emerges from the evidence that has been left behind, laid out for us to appraise and appreciate.

(click on the images to see bigger versions)

7 comments:

AlicePleasance said...

I wrote a post about this book days ago! I love the idea and I'm so glad you like it too :-)

Rebecca said...

That looks intriguing! I requested it at my public library as soon as I saw your post! :)

AsianCajuns said...

This has been on my wish list too! I love Leanne's illustrations- they are delicate, funny and sweet.

Andrea Eames said...

What a brilliant idea! I often make up stories about the people who owned vintage items when I'm out thrifting :)

Amelia said...

That looks so cool! I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

Ayesha said...

What a beautiful idea! Sounds wonderful! I'll have to tell my sister. She powers through book much aster than I ever will!

kadler said...

That sounds so awesome.

Plus, those glasses are to die for!